Jurassic RiverBed Sand comes from real mountain streams, and is a great learning experience for your classroom! Use the multicolor, smooth grains for sensory materials such sifting, funneling, and scooping.
- The average sand table will hold 75- 100 lbs of sand.
- Clean and dust free – so you don’t have to worry about upsetting allergies or asthma!
- Can be used wet or dry.
Jurassic sand is washable. Learn more in the “Care” tab.
ITERS: 20. Nature/Science
ECERS: 22. Nature/Science
FCCERS : 20. Nature/Science
Appropriate for ages 3+
Jurassic sand is washable. Learn how to clean it below.
Sanitizing and Disinfecting Jurassic Sand
The best way to keep your sand clean is to wash your hands before touching it.
Use Cleaning Products:
Common products that can be used on sand include Lysol, Chlorox Bleach, and hydrogen peroxide-based sprays. Mist the surface with any of these cleaners.
Use the SUN:
If you have a sandbox, leave the lid off from 10 am to 2 pm when the Sun’s rays are strongest. The same UV rays that cause sunburns are effective at killing germs too.
Use the Bucket and Bleach Method:
Do this outside and wear gloves and a long-sleeve shirt.
- Fill a 5 gallon bucket halfway with water and add bleach at a ratio of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water (that’s 1.5 cups of bleach to every gallon of water).
- Next, pour the sand that needs to be cleaned into the bucket of water and bleach and stir for a moment to ensure good contact.
- Let the sand soak for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the bleach water out by placing a garden hose in the bottom of the bucket and turning on the water slowly. Let the water run over the sides of the bucket for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once the sand in the bucket has been thoroughly rinsed, pour off excess water and either return the wet sand to a play box or spread the sand out on a sheet or tarp to drain and dry. If you put it directly in the sandbox/sand tray make sure to leave the cover off so it can dry out
Sterilizing Jurassic Sand in the Oven:
- Fill large roasting pans with sand and place them in the oven at 200° F.
- Bake for 4 to 6 hours.
- Leave the sand in the oven to cool down overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Use caution when removing sand from the oven as it may still be warm. Handle with care!